Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rattle Magazine: I Thank Thee

This time of year as I spread Christmas cheer by filling stockings with high-fives for books and magazines that most float my boat, I turn to Rattle Magazine, the lovely little magazine that just keeps getting better. Today's poem by Canadian poet Julie Bruck is is no exception. Thanks to the editors of Rattle, and to Julie for waking my brain and my belly laugh this cold December morning:


Julie Bruck
LOVE TO BUT
Our very important neighbor’s
fused to his new Cingular headset:
Now he can talk and walk.
Blah-blah-blah goes Mr. de Broff.
This makes it hard to hear
even the packs of feral dogs
howling all night, or the cats
doing what they do in our dark
fog-bound city gardens.
The world needs its chemistry
checked, that’s for sure.
The poisoned river is high,
fast at this time of year.
Fences between houses are down,
and we all like our boundaries.
Pharmacies? Closed.
All essential services, shut.
Time to fetch my daughter
from a birthday party which
ended in 1963, but she runs late.
Sometimes, I have to pry her
from the door-jamb, carry
her to the car like a small,
warm totem pole with sneakers.
A yellow Hummer slipped
through a crack in our street
on Tuesday: not seen nor
heard from since, despite
the crowd of looky-lu’s,
still milling around out there.
Love to. But these are
strange times. I could
expire before I meet
you at the gate. Yessir.
Love to. Toothache.
Can’t.
from Rattle #35, Summer 2011
Tribute to Canadian Poets