Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sarah Sloat's "Training"



Training

BY SARAH J. SLOAT

author photo

I’m thinking of living forever.
I think that way I might finally
get my gig straight and solve the crosswords.
I’m considering outlasting everyone
although I know I’d have a hard time
explaining not having read
Ulysses
past the first chapter.
I don’t care if death smells like nutmeg.
I don’t buy the plotline on eternal rest.
By staying alive someday
I might manage to hail a taxi,
and fulfill my father’s wish
of reaching town without a red light.
I couldn’t expect to avoid anger or brooding
or to make the journey with my beasts appeased.
But I might walk vast expanses
of earth and always be beginning
and I love beginning
or could learn
to love it.

Dear class,

Today's writing prompt: What are you training for? Name/describe your desired outcomes, along with your workout routine. What will you avoid by staying committed to your goals? What might your achievement unleash in you?



2 comments:

Carol Berg said...

Great prompt. Thank you!

Martha Silano said...

I absolutely love this poem. I hope you got a great poem from following in her footsteps . . .