Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

At Long Last: A Little Office

I am not sure I've ever shared this with my blog audience, but no time like the present:

I do not have an office.

That's right, you heard it here first.

What I have is a desk (I got it for free) next to my son's keyboard.

What i have is a small space in my bedroom, where my husband also has his study (aka our bed).

This is a photo of my study:



I pride myself on being able to write anywhere--in my car, on buses, in museums and cafes, during meetings, and waiting in line, but ... but ... since I've just turned 50 and I'm at work on a 4th book ... I think it's time to legitimize my profession as a writer.

Because my son is afraid of monsters, we have an empty room off the kitchen. Instead of hanging out/sleeping in there, he bunks with his sister in the tiny room near our bedroom. Yes, a spare room.

Where to start? My sister said "Google Home Office Design," so I did:





I don't think so.




This one's kinda cute.







Too stark.



Too modern.Too living-room.

Kinda nice!
This last one feels the most like me--I like the natural wicker, the hassock (though that might be a pipe dream--I need back support?), and there's something inviting about the white and natural browns.



Hmmmm...



I'm taking a trip to Goodwill this week to see what I can find used (wicker??). Then, where to: Ikea? Office Depot?



Stay tuned as The Little Office evolves.

5 comments:

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

My desk is a dining room table my husband found at a neighbor's yard sale for $20. He had to take the legs off to get it upstairs. It even has a drawer. Usually it's so cluttered with books, scraps of papers, post-its, receipts, yarn, and wrecked pencils that it's hard to see the top is varnished pine.

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

Your lamp is better than mine. But my view is better.

Kirven said...

After looking at all those potentials, I prefer my own--my bedroom, and lately, my bed, even though typing in bed is terrible for my arms. But it makes my cats happier.

Martha Silano said...

Hi Jan -- my view is the neighbor's roof/south-facing siding. But maybe no view is a good thing?

A very nice friend of mine passed that orange lamp onto me -- she said it gave off too much heat, but it's working fine for me.

I get all my wicker at Goodwill, plus a few at Target.

Kirven: I have done a lot of writing in my bed. At writer's colonies I usually write in bed all morning, then move to the couch in the afternoon/eve. Come to think of it, who needs an office?

Joannie Stangeland said...

Maybe you'll find some Pottery Barn wicker at Goodwill--that might jive with the picture.
(Not kidding: Once, someone at work decorated their office exactly like a picture in the PB catalog--a little eerie.)
For me, it's the sofa, and I can see the hummingbird feeder from there.